There are currently an estimated 12 million blind people in India.
6.8 million of these suffer from corneal blindness with vision less than 6/60 in at
least one eye, and of these, about 1 million have bilateral corneal blindness. If the
present trend continues, it is expected that the number of corneally blind individuals
in India will increase to 10.6 million by 2020.
Of these at least 3 million can be benefited by corneal transplantation. Thus, to
effectively meet the ever growing demand, we need around 150,000 corneal transplants to
be performed every year.
SRU Eye Bank
The Eye bank in Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute
started in September 24 1996 in the Department of Ophthalmology with
the following objectives:
- Promoting awareness on eye donation education and motivating public parties on this
- For obtaining better quality Corneas we have a hospital cornea retrival program
(HCRP) where the relatives of deceased are motivated for eye donation.
- To bridge the gap between demand and supply of good quality Corneas to obtain letter
results in Keratoplasty.
- To train junior residents in Enucleation and corneal buttoning
- To conduct frequent eye donation education program for paramedical and strengthen
- 24 hour around-the-clock service.
- Dedicated phone line (24 Hours) 044-24765515/30, Ext. 8219, 8152,
- Direct line to the Manager.
- Structured procedure for procurement, and making corneal button under strict aseptic
precautions under laminar flow.
- Evaluation of donor tissue by Slit Lamp, Specular Microscopy.
- Appropriate serological screening of the donor blood sample.
- Preservation in storage media.
- Mainting waithig list & a suitable patient is called upon and corneal
transplantation surgery is performed as early as possible as per registered waiting
- We are getting good quality of cornea’s due to HCRP in our hospital
- Enucleation procedure is being performed by our senior postgraduates under sterile
precautions within our campus and also at Donor’s residence.
- Now we are performing good number of Keratoplasties
- The collected eyes are also used for research and training purposes.
- Every year the eye bank conducts national eye donation fortnight celebrations from
25th august to 8th September. During this period an awareness
campaign in the form of exhibits and posters are displayed in the hospital campus.
Brief talks about eye donation are addressed to public routinely.
- Eye bank manager also addresses and creates awareness to all camp patients regarding
eye donation (Ariyalur, Perambalur, Punnai Nagar, Trichy, Kadayanallur
(Tirunelveli), Thiruvarur, Guruvayur, Thirukovilur , Melmalayanur and Rasipuram).
- We also motivate to pledge eyes among the general public, a total number of pledges
collected till date accounts to 34635.
Eye bank consultant: Prof.Thiyagarajan, MS,DO
Eye Bank Manager: Mrs. Latha
Sri Ramachandra Eye Bank
Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute
Porur, Chennai -116
Ph. No: 044-24765515-30, Ext. 8219, 8152.