About the Department
The Department of Urology & Renal Transplantation is an ISO 9001:2000 Certified Department of Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Porur, Chennai. It is a premier center for super specialized urology care. It is one among the country’s leading Renal Transplant center. The centre is still among the top institutions in the country that have performed the maximum number of cadaver kidney Transplants.
Since its inception, the department has followed a path of rapid but steady expansion in terms of patients, procedures, staff and facilities. It has established itself as a major service of the hospital and as an important Urology and Transplantation Center in this part of the world. The department has always focused on constant improvement of the various services and raisings its bar towards education and research. It fulfills its commitment towards education by running the MCI recognized M.Ch. Post Graduate teaching the programme and the four-year B.Sc program in Urology Technology course.
The center is still among the top institutions in the country that have performed the maximum number of cadaver kidney Transplants.
- 1996 - Cadaver Transplants started - One of the top four departments in the country that performs cadaver kidney transplants.
- 1997 – IX Indian Society of Organ Transplantation National Conference organized by department along with Department of Nephrology.
- 1997 – Established ‘Telemedicine practice in Urology.’ Conducts the first International tele-video Conference with Mass General Hospital, Boston, USA
- 1999 - Three years M.Ch super-specialty degree course in Urology
- 1999 – SZ Urological Society of India Organized at SRMC by the Department
- 2000 - B.Sc Allied Health Sciences course in Urology (The only such International course
- 2000 - ESWL & Uro-dynamics Services commences
- 2000 - Applies and gets ISO 9001 -2000 Certification for the department
- 2001 - Paediatric Urology Subspecialty started
- 2001 - 14th World Congress of the International Society for Laser Surgery & Medicine, Chennai – Urology Subsection Organized by Department
- 2006 - Laparoscopy procedure in urology
- 2006 – Starts FDA approved International drug trials
- 2007 - Joint Research Projects With IIT Madras and Urology Department
- 2009 – International Operative Workshop celebrating a Decade of Academic Urology on PCNL & RIRS
- 2013 – International workshop on RIRS and Laparoscopic urology
- 2014 – Live operative pediatric urology workshop